Thursday, October 16, 2008

Trader Joe's Cioppino


The other day I was at Trader Joe's looking for something for a quick and easy meal and saw this cioppino seafood stew in the frozen food section. It sounded like a good meal on a damp cool day. It was very easy to prepare - just a few minutes in a saucepan to melt the sauce and then throw in the mixture of frozen shrimp, scallops, fish, and even a few mussels.

I was surprised that the fish didn't get mushy and the flavor was nice. I served it over brown rice and fresh parsley and with some crusty bread. It was a very easy meal to make. BUT it was way too expensive - I think it was over 6 dollars for the package. Supposedly it had 2 servings. You can see my bowl below with about 3/4 of the entire package over rice - it was a very small serving. So even though I liked it, there just wasn't enough value to buy it again. Sorry, Trader Joe!

3 comments:

robin said...

I just tried this and also found it to be very tasty! I used the microwave preparation and it worked perfectly. I agree on it only being one serving though, not two. I ate it (the entire package) for lunch just now with a few oyster crackers and I am satisfied though by no means overly full. I will buy it again though!

Deborah Wall McGraw said...

I thought it was very tasty also. to make it go further, I added a few handfuls of the frozen seafood mix (also from Trader Joe's). It not only increased the quantity but I thought the addition of more seafood made it more like a good restaurant version.

Karen Bosch said...

Great idea to add the frozen seafood mix! I often use the mix in risotto and I love it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin