Saturday, January 7, 2012

Toasted Oak Grill - Novi, MI



I'm embarrassed to say that I visited Toasted Oak way back in August. It was right before school started and I was shopping in Novi and wanted lunch at someplace different. I used my iPhone to locate restaurants, and this one was new to me, so I decided to check it out!


Toasted Oak Grill is located at the Hotel Baronette, right off Novi Road by the mall. There are a couple rooms in the restaurant as well as a market that sells food and drink items. Nice contemporary decor.

I ordered the Fig Salad and added grilled chicken to it. The plating for the salad was very attractive. I liked the vinaigrette and mushrooms/figs and the greens were very fresh.

The grilled chicken was pretty blah and flavorless - I added salt to it, and I NEVER salt things at restaurants. The pastry at the side with caramelized onions was good, but was totally limp. Just a few seconds under the oven might have restored some of the crunch to the puff pastry. I wished the salad had some goat cheese or feta - it seemed to need something to balance out the acid from the vinaigrette (oooh, I sound like a judge from Top Chef, been watching too much reality cooking contests!) Service was pleasant and I had a nice relaxing meal. I thought prices were a bit high for lunch. So it was ok, but not someplace I would be anxious to try again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin