Sunday, November 23, 2008

Parmesan Pesto Pinwheels


Well, I'm on a roll. A roll baking frenzy that is. My contribution to the Thanksgiving meal has traditionally been homemade rolls. I started bringing rolls many years ago. I think I was asked to bring rolls for the meal because they thought they were being nice to me. Rolls were easy - just pick up a few packages at the store.

But I am a good baker. And being the cooking overachiever that I am, I brought homemade rolls. And of course the homemade rolls were a hit. And once you have homemade rolls, you can't good back to some dry old store bought ones! And thus the roll baking tradition was born!

I usually spend most of the Wednesday before vacation making rolls and muffins. But I got a little head start on this batch of Parmesan Pesto Pinwheels this weekend which I stuck in the freezer for Thursday. This recipe is an invention of my own using dough from a favorite breadstick recipe.

Parmesan Pesto Pinwheels

3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons nonfat dried milk
1 cup water
1 1/2 rapid rise/bread yeast
1/3 cup pesto
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese

Combine flour, salt, sugar, butter, nonfat dried milk, and water in your bread machine and the yeast in the dispenser, and mix according to your manufacturers directions. Let rise.

Remove the risen dough from the machine and put on a floured surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle about 10 x 18 inches. Spread the pesto on the top of the dough and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. (I usually don't measure the exact amount.)






Roll the dough tightly, starting on the 18 inch side, so that you have a long tube. Slice the dough into 3/4 inch wide slices.






I usually use an ungreased airbake ccokie sheet to bake these because the bottoms tend to burn on a regular baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, watching that the bottoms get a slight crisp from the cheese and pesto, but be careful that they do not burn.

Brush the tops with melted butter while warm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I'm lucky - two years ago I brought a big pan of roasted root vegetables and that was requested again this year. It doesn't get much easier (or cheaper) than to scrub and cut up a bunch of red potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, and turnips, toss 'em with some olive oil and rosemary, and stick 'em in the oven for an hour.

Back on the subject of rolls, have you tried sweet potato rolls? You cook and mash up a sweet potato to add to the yeast dough. The rolls are formed into knots and they're just slightly sweet, a beautiful yellow orange color, and they have the softest crust.

Okay, off to eat something now...

Karen Bosch said...

I have not tried the sweet potato trick, but that sounds awesome! Actually, I am posting a recipe for rosemary potato rolls today! I just may have to try the recipe with a sweet potato. Stay tuned!

make it perfect said...

karen, they look really really good! yummo! what a lovely blog you have, i'm excited go back and read through your cooking and crafting adventures!

i didn't realise that you can't buy custard powder in the usa. i had a quick hunt online and other people substitute it with cornflour (cornstarch) and vanilla. it has exactly the same texture as cornflour but will need some extra flavour.

toni :)

Alana Gillett said...

For me, Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without Karen's rolls and muffins :) I can even taste them now...a few states away...Mmmmm!

Karen Bosch said...

Alana, I am baking rolls most of the rolls and muffins on Wednesday, but maybe I can sneak a couple that were already made down to you!

Alana Gillett said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the delicious rolls! It was a perfect addition to our Thanksgiving feast :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin