Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

It's funny, I really don't like plain sweet potatoes or even the kind with all the brown sugar and marshmallows that people make for Thanksgiving, but I do like sweet potato fries! I kinda got hooked on them when we ate at the Burger Bar last summer. But I usually don't eat a lot of fried foods. So I've been experimenting with making a baked version. Here's what I do:

Cut the fries into slices. I keep them pretty thin, probably about a half inch thick and I am lazy and leave the skins on.

Put them into a ziplock bag and generously drizzle with olive oil. Then season - I like to use seasoned salt and some rosemary.

Cover a cookie sheet with foil (saves scrubbing the messy pan) and spread them in a single layer. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Bake in a hot oven - about 400 degrees. As the fries start to get crispy, turn them with a spatula. I bake them until they are very crispy, verging on burnt, for 20 - 30 minutes. Watch them carefull or they will totally burn!

If anyone else has some great hints on how to make crispy oven baked fries, I'd love to know!


Rachel said...

Yum, yum! I am going to make these next week! Thanks for the recipe. :)

piecemealquilts said...

I'm like you - I don't like my sweet potatoes with added sugar. I also do sweet potato fries, but I like to pop them under a broiler for the last couple of minutes. I use Penzey's Spices 4S Seasoned Salt (or sometimes the Smoky Seasoned Salt). I also like baked sweet potatoes with just a little 4S. No need to add butter because they're very moist. I actually was going to create a quilt called Sweet Potato Fries using rust, gold and brown batiks. I ended up doing it in blues instead and called it Icicles.

Clever Karen said...

Great suggestions - we have a Pensey's near here, I will have to check out that Smokey Seasoned Salt!

Rebekah said...

These look great! I just started making these a few months ago and I make them pretty much the same way that you do and have yet to have a really crispy batch

YayaOrchid said...

Oh! They do look good!

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

These sound so good. You have so many delicious sounding recipes and pictures on your blog.

I just scrolled through a bunch of pages and I especially enjoyed the dining out ones. I live in the middle of nowhere and eating out at good restaurants is what I miss the most since moving here!

~ Jennifer


Blog Widget by LinkWithin