Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

It's funny, I really don't like plain sweet potatoes or even the kind with all the brown sugar and marshmallows that people make for Thanksgiving, but I do like sweet potato fries! I kinda got hooked on them when we ate at the Burger Bar last summer. But I usually don't eat a lot of fried foods. So I've been experimenting with making a baked version. Here's what I do:


Cut the fries into slices. I keep them pretty thin, probably about a half inch thick and I am lazy and leave the skins on.


Put them into a ziplock bag and generously drizzle with olive oil. Then season - I like to use seasoned salt and some rosemary.


Cover a cookie sheet with foil (saves scrubbing the messy pan) and spread them in a single layer. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Bake in a hot oven - about 400 degrees. As the fries start to get crispy, turn them with a spatula. I bake them until they are very crispy, verging on burnt, for 20 - 30 minutes. Watch them carefull or they will totally burn!

If anyone else has some great hints on how to make crispy oven baked fries, I'd love to know!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Yum, yum! I am going to make these next week! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm like you - I don't like my sweet potatoes with added sugar. I also do sweet potato fries, but I like to pop them under a broiler for the last couple of minutes. I use Penzey's Spices 4S Seasoned Salt (or sometimes the Smoky Seasoned Salt). I also like baked sweet potatoes with just a little 4S. No need to add butter because they're very moist. I actually was going to create a quilt called Sweet Potato Fries using rust, gold and brown batiks. I ended up doing it in blues instead and called it Icicles.

Karen Bosch said...

Great suggestions - we have a Pensey's near here, I will have to check out that Smokey Seasoned Salt!

Rebekah said...

These look great! I just started making these a few months ago and I make them pretty much the same way that you do and have yet to have a really crispy batch

YayaOrchid said...

Oh! They do look good!

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

These sound so good. You have so many delicious sounding recipes and pictures on your blog.

I just scrolled through a bunch of pages and I especially enjoyed the dining out ones. I live in the middle of nowhere and eating out at good restaurants is what I miss the most since moving here!

~ Jennifer

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin