Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bryce Canyon Necklace

DSC_1012

A few years ago I picked up a necklace with earthy colored shiny stones while visiting Bryce Canyon. I snipped this necklace apart to use some of the stones to create this necklace.

DSC_1020

I was inspired by the long black wire necklaces made by Rebecca Sower (and others). The black chain came from Michaels - it was a bit heavier than I wanted but I had trouble finding solid black chain. I also discovered that the wire I bought for this project had a copper core that shows a bit where it was snipped off. I didn't like that, but I didn't want to have to purchase different wire.

DSC_1020

I liked being able to use a lot of beads in different colors. I used some soft aqua colored beads, some white, black, and clear quartz, some gray pearls, and some dark blue Chinese crystals. The stone beads in the natural shapes came from the necklace from the rock shop by Bryce Canyon. I think the orange beads add a little zing to the necklace. The color reminds me of the orange hoodoos that are in Bryce Canyon.

DSC_1019

The large orange bead above comes from another necklace that I bought in India many years ago. It's kind of fun to include beads that have travel memories that have been remixed from old necklaces.

DSC_1017

I added a vintage key to the end of the necklace. I've tried a couple keys and I'm still not sure that this one is the one I like because it hangs a little off center.

DSC_1016

I wear this necklace in 2 or 3 loops around my neck depending on the outfit. It is a bit heavy so I wouldn't wear it on a hot day! I like it because the variety of colored beads go well with a lot of different colored outfits.

2 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty! I can relate to not wearing certain jewelry on hot days. I even took my rings off when it was so hot here this Summer.

Liz said...

Love it. You are so talented!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin