Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Macadamia Nut Waffles with Coconut Syrup

DSC_1270

When I visited Hawaii a number of years ago, I had Macadamia Nut waffles with Coconut Syrup every morning for breakfast while we were staying at the Wailea Beach Marriot Hotel in Maui. Once a year, I feel a little need for a taste of Hawaii again, and so I make these waffles.

DSC_1267

I use this Kona Coast mix to make the waffles. I used to find it at Cost Plus before they closed in the Detroit area, but I recently found it in Grand Rapids. You also could use any other mix and toss in some chopped macadamia nuts.

DSC_1266

The coconut syrup is easy to make and uses coconut milk. Warning - it is VERY sweet! Here is the recipe:

Coconut Syrup

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 13 ounce can coconut milk - I used the regular, not the lite
2 teaspoons coconut extract

DSC_1259

Stir the sugar and granulated syrup together in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat until dissolved and bubbly. Add the coconut milk and extract and cook for another minute or so. Remove from heat and cool. Pour into a jar for serving. Keeps for several weeks in the refrigerator.

If you are really going tropical you should serve it with fresh pineapple, but strawberries work fine, too.

DSC_1291

2 comments:

Rima said...

Yum, yum, yum. Thanks for that recipe.

HopeWorks said...

Amazing! We will absolutely be trying these. We're pancake fanatics :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin