Sunday, February 3, 2008

Oven Roasted Tomatoes


Often I like to roast tomatoes on Sunday afternoon. (I learned this trick from my friend Sally.) I use them on salads or for pasta. Roasting them gives them a sweet rich flavor. For lunch this week I'll put them over lettuce with some grilled chicken, Kalamata olives, and feta cheese, and drizzle with a bit of balsamic vinegar. It makes a good salad for a winter day.

To roast the tomatoes: Cut roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Put them in a baking dish that is covered with foil. (Trust me, it makes clean up easier if you use the foil!) I often add onions, portabella mushrooms, and red peppers, too. Drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Roast in a 425 degree oven for an hour and a half. They will shrink down and be a bit golden around the edges when done.

Beware: your house will smell like a pizzaria all day!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

thanks for the info! I'm bookmarking this for my Roma crop from the garden this summer.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin