Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chutney Turkey Burgers


Oprah is so convincing. (I guess that is why they pay her the big bucks!) When she raved about the Mar-a-lago turkey burgers as being the best in the world, I practically ran out to the store to buy some ground turkey so I could try the recipe! (We enjoyed these at our picnic feast this week, although I think there was too much "stuff" chopped inside of them for the kids.)

I made a smaller batch of little turkey burger "sliders" based on her recipe. And I used a mango chutney from Trader Joes which tasted wonderful both in the burger and on top of it! (However during my last stop at Trader Joes, the mango chutney was gone!!! Those of you who shop at Trader Joes know the frustration of seeing a favorite product disappear. Alas! They did have a cranberry chutney though, which actually might make an interesting twist with a bit of a Thanksgiving flavor next time I try the recipe.)

I really liked the flavor of this turkey burger - the apple inside of it makes it moist and the chutney adds a nice flavor twist. Oprah's website also had a pear chutney that they put on top which I didn't try, but sounded great. Maybe next time!


Chutney Turkey Burgers

1 pound ground white meat turkey
1 or 2 scallions, chopped
1 or 2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1/4 cup mango chutney (or other chutney) - I just put a big spoonful
chopped cilantro or parsley (about a 1/4 of a bunch)
1 lemon (grate the peel, also you'll use the juice of half the lemon)
salt and pepper

Cook the chopped scallion, celery, and apple in the canola oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Let cool slightly. In a bowl, mix the cooked apple, turkey, chutney, cilantro or parsley, grated peel of 1 lemon, juice of half the lemon, salt, and pepper.

Form into burgers. Cover with plastic wrap and let the burgers rest in the refrigerator for 3 hours. (This is important - it allows the burgers to firm up so they don't fall apart when you put them on the grill!) It made about 10 -12 of the mini burgers, but I'm sure regular sized burgers would work fine.

Cook on an oiled grill over medium heat. I think these would also work fine if cooked in a pan or on a George Foreman grill. Serve with a dab of chutney on top!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin