Monday, July 28, 2008

Tahiti Blondies


Several months ago I watched an episode of Bobby Flay's Throwdown on the Food Network which featured making blondies. They featured a Tahiti Blondie from a shop called Sugar Daddies that was made with pineapple and coconut and studded with white chocolate and macadamia nuts. Alas, no recipe! So I've been searching the internet for a similar recipe. I found a couple of good options, from Genesis of a Cook and from Second Helpings that helped inspire my version of the recipe.

This is a dangerous recipe to make - I find myself continuously cutting little slices off to nibble throughout the day. I think the crushed pineapple makes them a bit more cakelike rather than like the dense texture of a typical blondie, but I don't care, these are so good. I brought them to a recent teacher seminar for a treat and they were a hit! I served them in a square shape, but if you want to make them look fancy, cut them out in circles like they do at Sugar Daddies.


Tahiti Blondies

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks
1/2 cup crushed pineapple (8 ounce can, drained and pressed to remove as much juice as possible)

Preheat oven the 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray (and line with parchment paper if you want to remove the blondies to cut into circles).

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In another bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir. Blend in the flour mixture, then add the coconut, nuts, pineapple, and white chocolate. Do not over mix or the blondies will be tough. Pour into the pan.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until lightly golden. Do not over bake. Cool before cutting. (Ok, I confess, I usually eat one warm from the pan and it is divine!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't you mean cool before cutting (not cooking)? looks delish!

Karen Bosch said...

Oh, yes! Thanks for pointing out the typo for me to correct!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin