Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Balsamic Swiss Chard

I think the first time I ever had Swiss Chard was at Pete's Place a few weeks ago. I really liked tangy dressing that they used to cook it in. When I saw this bag of "Chard of Many Colors" at Trader Joe's a few days ago, I knew I had to experiment!


First of all - look at the rainbow of colors in the package - so pretty!


This is how I cooked it. First I heated a large pan with a little olive oil. I added a bit of chopped onion into it and cooked it for a minute until slightly softened and golden. Then I added in a handful the chard into the pan for a couple minutes, stirring it frequently. Next I sprinkled it generously with balsamic vinegar and a bit of brown sugar - enough to give it a nice tangy slightly sweet glaze. I stirred for a minute or more, until the chard was wilted and then removed from the pan. Finally, I topped it with some toasted pine nuts.


I'm not a big fan of vegetables but I really liked this recipe!

2 comments:

creampuff said...

How could you not like it as it's so pretty to look at! I love swiss chard so this is right up my alley!

Anonymous said...

Next time you make this try mixing cannellini beans in with it. I add them to cooked spinach and top it with good olive oil and course salt. The girls love it. I think it might be tasty with swiss chard.
s

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin