Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Felted Wool Flower Tutorial 2



I have been a little obsessed with making these felted wool flower pins! It is such an easy way to take an ordinary cheap sweater and make it look spiffy and pricey! Here is another slightly different way to make the flower - totally easy! (Here is a link to the first tutorial).

First, you need to purchase 100% wool sweaters from a resale store. Wash them on the gentle setting in hot water and then dry them in the dryer. Only dry them for short time - sometimes the wool breaks and you will get holes (which you can cut around). Wool should shrink up and tighten into a teeny tiny sweater!


Cut a flower and a smaller circle pattern out of newspaper. (I cut a circle out of paper, folded it in thirds, cut the petals, then unfolded.) Cut the pieces out of the wool. Since the wool is felted, it shouldn't fray.


Use hot glue to glue them together. Then glue a bit of scrunched-up lace and top it with an awesome vintage earring.


Hot glue a pin backing toward the top of the pin. (If you put it in the center, the pin will sag - I know this from experience.)


The red pin looks pretty cute on this cheap red sweater from Target.


The color really pops on the same style sweater in ivory.


And for the holidays, I've been wearing it on this heather green v-neck along with an off white scarf. Spiffy, I think!

In my next post, I show a few more pins I've put together!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin