Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Black Walnut White Fudge




When I was a kid, my mom used to make "White Fudge" every Christmas.  She often gave it as gifts and we would love to lick the bowl after she made it.  It was sugary sweet and I absolutely loved it.  I have her original recipe, but have had mixed results when making it - if you don't get it to the exact temperature it either crumbles like sugar or is hard like a brick.  I haven't made it in years.

A few months ago I found the secret ingredient in this fudge in the markdowns at Kroger - Black Walnut Extract!  I decided to try making it again, but this time using white chocolate chips to make the process easier.  (If you can't find the black walnut extract, try either vanilla or almond flavoring, but the flavor will be different.  The black walnut really adds a unique rich flavor to the fudge!)  This recipe also contains the surprising addition of sour cream (which my mom didn't use), which adds a bit a tang to the fudge and enhances the creamy texture.  The basis for this version comes from a Kraft recipe clipping that I probably cut out of a magazine about 25 years ago.  I changed several of the ingredients to make my version.


Black Walnut White Fudge


Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter
12 ounce package white chocolate chips
1 7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
2 teaspoons black walnut flavoring
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

Directions:

1.  Combine sugar, sour cream, and margarine in a heavy 3 quart saucepan.  Bring mixture to a full rolling boil.  Stir constantly for 7 minutes, or until temperature reaches 234 degrees. (The seven minutes was pretty accurate for the time to get to the correct temperature.)
2.  Remove from heat and immediately stir in the chocolate chips until melted.  Then add the marshmallow creme, the black walnut flavoring, and walnuts and beat with a large spoon until blended.
3.  Pour into a greased 9 inch baking pan.  Cool for about 30 minutes, then cut into squares while still slightly soft.  Finish cooling before removing from pan - put in refrigerator if too soft to remove.
4.  I keep the fudge refrigerated and let it come to room temp before serving.  It freezes nicely, so you can make it in advance!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin