Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pizzaria Biga - Royal Oak


After having had really good pizza during my trip to Italy, I have been a bit spoiled. I was so glad to discover Pizzaria Biga in Royal Oak because I think their pizza captures that authentic wood oven rustic crusty flavor that I loved in Italy.


Pizzaria Biga is located on Main Street in Royal Oak,  just a bit south of the main drag of restaurants.  It sits above the Cloverleaf Wine Shop - be advised that there is a flight of stairs to climb to enter the restaurant.  The inside has lots of metal and has a very sleek urban feel.  There is a great view of the open kitchen and wood oven where they bake the pizza.  (Note that they have a second location in Southfield which I haven't visited.)


Lunch is a great time to visit - they have a deal during the week where you get a free salad or soup and a drink with purchase of a pizza or main course.  What a deal!  The salads are very fresh and have interesting combinations. Above is the Garden Salad.


During another visit,  three of us shared a large salad of butter lettuce with dried cherries, gorgonzola, walnuts, and raspberry vinaigrette which was plenty for all and very delicious!  I've also tried the chopped salad which I didn't think I'd like, but it was great!


The pizzas are sized for enough for one person with a few slices let to take home. (Or 2 people could share a small salad and a pizza).  The crust is amazing and has a unique flavor and chewy crust that comes from their special use of yeast.  This white Funghi pizza (above) with goat cheese, mushrooms, and thyme is to die for!


You'd never believe how wonderful the fingerling potato pizza is!  Very unusual, but great flavor.


The red sauce pizzas are equally good.  Above is a Margherita pizza - such wonderful fresh ingredients!


The desserts are very tempting.  I tried some coconut gelato - it was ok, it seemed a bit crusty on the edges like it had been sitting in the freezer a bit too long.  I loved the dramatic way it was served with a crispy cookie on top.


This is the dessert to get! I forgot the Italian name, but it is fried dough rolled in sugar with raspberry and chocolate dipping sauce.  Yum!  I've had this twice!

I also wanted to mention that their pizza is great for take out and the prices are even a bit cheaper! They have a great selection of fresh and house made toppings that will let you create the pizza of your dreams.  A big recommendation!

1 comment:

Liz said...

All I can say us YUM!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin