Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Red Rover Top


After this weekend, I decided I would vote for any candidate who advocates a new law requiring there to be one long weekend every month! It's amazing what you can do with an extra day on a weekend - gardening, laundry, errands, ironing, bills, going out to a movie (Narnia) and dinner, and then I even had a little time to do something fun and clever.


So I made this little "Red Rover" top. I wanted something kinda cute and funky like they have at Anthropologie, (where I can neither afford nor fit into all their cute little tops). So I bought this little smock knit top at Target to decorate. I used some little scraps of fabric - the one with the teacups is from Darlene Zimmerman's Mama's Feedsacks collection.









I ironed some Wonder Under onto the backside of the fabric, then cut it into rectangle shapes. Next I peeled off the paper backing, and ironed it onto the shirt. I stitched with a loose zigzag stitch around the edges so it wouldn't come apart when washed. Finally I sewed some vintage red rickrack around the edge of the neckline. It was a little hard to get the rickrack evenly sewed onto the edge and it stretched the knit a bit. Next time I'd probably sew it on by hand.

So that's what I was able to do with my extra day on this holiday weekend. Don't you agree that we'd all be happier with a little extra time off to do clever things! Politicians, take note, and you'll have my vote!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin