Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hostaria il Desco - Florence


Most of the places that we ate at in Florence were somewhat hit or miss - some things were good, some not, nothing amazing.  I found Hostaria il Desco on Trip Advisor.  It was tucked away in a narrow street right behind our hotel.  The street was all torn apart with construction, so I am glad I had downloaded a map to help us find it.

Again, we went early without reservations and the restaurant was basically empty on on Wednesday night.  I'm glad we still decided to go in because the restaurant was lovely, our server was delightful, and the food was amazing.  After our hot afternoon, it was lovely to sit in a nice cool restaurant.


My brother ordered a 3 course meal and I ordered a la carte.  We first were given a little tasting of a green been soup (I think) to start the meal.


Our starter was this lovely platter of meats and cheese. It makes me drool just to look at it.  I thought the serving dishes were as interesting as the food.


Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sauce and Pears.  This was the reason I wanted to go to this restaurant.  Oh my, so creamy and rich!




Pappardelle al Ragu - wide noodles in Bolognese sauce As far from Ragu sauce in a jar as you could get.  


Wild Boar Stew.  Love the serving container! Rich and yummy on a bed of polenta!



Beef with Rosemary and Mushrooms - perfectly savory!


We stuffed ourselves silly because everything was so good.  We decided to bypass ordering dessert, but still found room for the biscotti they brought us at the end of the meal.

I so wish we had gone here at the beginning of our stay in Florence, because we would have made a second visit!  An amazing meal!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin