Thursday, May 22, 2008

Onion Rye Rolls


A few weeks ago when I made the Salmon Burgers, one of my Twitter friends seemed equally interested in the homemade rolls that were pictured. So I thought I'd share my recipe, which is a composite of a couple recipes from the book that came with my breadmaker. If you don't have a bread maker, you probably could knead this by hand, with dough hooks, or in a food processor. I just find a breadmaker on the dough cycle is very easy and keeps the dough at the perfect temperature to rise.

Onion Rye Rolls

2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/3 cup finely chopped onions
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dry milk
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 pieces
5/8 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon yeast

Combine all ingredients in the bread machine bowl and put the yeast in the dispenser. Follow the directions for the dough cycle on your breadmaker.

When the dough has risen, remove from the breadmaker. Punch the dough down, and cut the dough into 6 (for large rolls) or 8 pieces. Roll into round shapes. Brush the dough with an egg beaten with a 1/2 teaspoon of water. (I usually use an egg white with a little bit of yolk for a light golden color.) Sprinkle the rolls with sesame seed. Let the rolls rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until almost doubled. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until golden.

1 comment:

Liana said...

YUM-O! I can't wait to try it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin