Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Listening for Lions


The best book that I read during the summer was Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan. (This was one of the wonderful children's books given to me by our school librarian for my summer enjoyment.)

This book reminded me of The Secret Garden (0ne of my favorites) with a bit of an Out of Africa setting in the beginning. The plot involves a young girl with missionary parents who is orphaned in the early 1900s during the influenza epidemic. In her attempt to get back to England she gets trapped in a lie by some greedy neighbors (I won't spoil it for you). The descriptions of both Africa and England are vivid and there are endearing characters (as well as ones you will love to hate). I couldn't put it down. A sweet story with a story with great twists!

I also read Angel on the Square by the same author, and I hope to check out more books by her!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin