Monday, July 14, 2008

Anne's Potato Rolls


Hope you aren't bored with these recipes from last week's gourmet picnic - I still have a few more left to share!

This recipe comes from my friend Anne who makes these rolls every year for Thanksgiving. I love this recipe because these rolls are so soft and tender! I thought they would be nice to eat with our burgers.

I have adapted her recipe for my trusty bread machine! Also, I use instant potato flakes so it takes no time at all to throw the ingredients together in the bread machine. I sometimes like to add fresh rosemary to make the most delicious Rosemary Potato Rolls, too!

Anne's Potato Rolls

1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package yeast (regular or quick rise)
1/2 cup water
3 cups bread flour

Scald the milk. Add the potato flakes, butter, sugar, and salt. When the butter has melted, wisk the mixture until combined.

Add the flour, 1/2 cup water, and potato mixture into the pan of the bread machine. Put the yeast in the yeast dispenser. Set the machine to the dough cycle and run according to your machine's directions. While the dough is being mixed, check it. It should be soft and slightly sticky; add a touch more water if if seems stiff. Let it rise in the bread machine.

Remove the dough from the machine and put on a lightly floured surface. Separate into balls. I make 8 or 9 balls in a round or square 8 inch baking pan. Or put the rolls on a cookie sheet if you want to bake as separate buns. (For the mini burgers I did 12 rolls per batch.)

Let the rolls rise until almost doubled. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees. The individual rolls take 10 to 15 minutes; if they are in a pan, it will take longer to cook the all the way through to the center. Upon removing from the oven, brush the tops with butter if desired!

Eat warm - of course! No one could resist one fresh out of the oven!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin