Monday, August 25, 2008

Shipshewana Part 3 - Davis Mercantile


We usually spend a couple hours at the flea market. We usually give up about half way through the row and rows when it all starts to look the same, and head into town to visit the shops there. We often start at the Davis Mercantile. This used to be an old hotel that had been turned into shops. About 4 years ago there was a terrible fire and the place burned down. (It was so sad, I saw pictures of all the beautiful quilts that were burned!) They built a new building using old fashioned timber framing. Up through the center of the building is this huge tree trunk!

About this time we need some food to keep us going, so typically we get a pretzel from JoJos.


There are 4 floors of shops, but usually I spend most of my time in one place - the quilt shop! Here's a peek through the door - more to come in my next post!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I never knew there was a fire. I hadn't been there since 2002. I thought the building looked a little different. Thanks for the info. ! =)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin