Saturday, August 30, 2008

Shipshewana Part 10 - Essenhaus

Das Dutchman Essenhaus is about 15 miles down the road in Middlebury. It is a complex of shops, a hotel (which is a lovely place to stay), and a great restaurant. The restaurant is divided into 2 parts - a family style restaurant and a section where you can order off the menu.


We usually eat in the family style restaurant. For $17 dollars you get all you can eat of salad (they have the best sweet and sour dressing!), homemade bread, drink, chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, Amish noodles, dressing, green beans...... ummm. The chicken is crispy and juicy and the roast beef is pull apart tender. (It is much better than a Frankenmuth chicken dinner, in my opinion, and you get much more for the money.)


AND dessert is included. A huge list of homemade pies! We usually are so stuffed that we take the pie to go. Here is my cherry pie that I enjoyed for breakfast the next morning.


With full stomachs and a trunk filled with shopping bags, we headed back home again. Sorry it took me nine days to post all this about a trip where we spent only nine hours in Shipshewana. I hope this gives you a little taste of what our typical shop til you drop trip to Amish Indiana is like!

2 comments:

melissa said...

it has been so long since I've been to Shipshewana - thanks for the tour! I have fond memories of Essenhaus (now, knowing German, that name seems funny to me...it literally means "Eating House").

Karen Bosch said...

I never knew that it meant "Eating House" - that's cute and somewhat appropriate since I always eat more than I should when I visit there!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin